The Manager of Marketing Content & Communications helps us spread the word and excitement to small cities and towns across the US as they consider and implement the Community Heart & Soul model. As an advocate for the vitality of communities under 50,000 in population, this individual plays a key role in challenging the narrative so pervasive in modern media about towns, and the residents who live in them. Key responsibilities include creating, advocating for, and organizing our message and content strategy across the organization, and help leading our organization – and residents nationwide – into a powerful and exciting future.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Develop and execute new points of engagement for our overall communications strategy.
• Write and edit copy for news releases, newsletters, brochures, reports, and other publications.
• Identify thought leadership needs and explore opportunities and support efforts for staff and board to speak publicly.
• Generate, maintain, and direct story collection and sharing across the organization.
• Create stories from CH&S towns, including sourcing/finding and writing stories that resonate with target audience.
• Provide strategic oversight and direction over all content with an aim to inspire new breakthrough ideas for programs, messaging, marketing, and advocacy.
• Monitor cultural trends, collect relevant data, and creatively translate cultural topics and audience needs into timely and relevant program and marketing content.
• Responsible for all Foundation publicity including: PR; media inquiries; marketing efforts through journals and publications in concert with outsourced PR Agency; responses to and handling of all media inquiries; and maintenance of press contacts, media lists, and media kits.
• Manage media monitoring service for Foundation, pulling out newsworthy stories where relevant.
• Guide and support staff involved with all media interactions including creating talking points and prepping staff for interviews.
• Co-develops PowerPoint presentations and other communications collateral, including printed material, on an as-requested basis.
• Constantly seeks to develop creative outreach strategies, tools and messages.
• A minimum of a BS or BA degree
• Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience, including 1 year with similar responsibilities in PR and marketing including outreach to individuals and external markets
• Demonstrated exceptional research, reporting, and writing skills to write simple, clear, compelling, and persuasive copy; ability to successfully pitch stories to media
• Positive “can-do” professional work attitude and ethic
• Superior flexibility and adaptability combined with enthusiasm for learning and experimentation
• Professional commitment to honesty, integrity, loyalty, and compassion
• Demonstrated ability to lead initiatives and work successfully as part of a professional team with an independent and focused work ethic
• Demonstrated ability to embody the Foundation’s values and contribute to its positive image and work environment
• Strong knowledge of and affinity for web-based communication and marketing technologies, including:
– Online marketing basics and an understanding of popular social media platforms
– Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint). Familiarity with Salesforce or a comparable CRM is a plus.
– Affinity for and experience with multimedia capture and production
– Understanding of basic Adobe Suite and other Photoshop functions such as sizing and cropping, photography and original digital creative skills a plus
• Superior skills in the following:
– Organization, follow through, and ability to juggle multiple priorities and work independently
– Leadership, listening qualities and interdisciplinary thinking
– Dedication to the Foundation’s mission and ability to apply work activities to achieve goals toward the mission
– Attention to detail and interpersonal skills, with the ability to work with different leadership and working styles
• Knowledge of other organizations’ or individuals’ efforts in the fields of communications and community development a plus
• Ability to travel by plane and automobile approximately 10-15% of time, including overnight for periods of up to 2/3 days on a monthly basis.
• Valid driver’s license
Interested in a confidential exploratory call before deciding whether or not to apply?
Please contact our search partner, Beth Gilpin Consulting, at [email protected].
Essential job functions and requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the job and the general nature and level of work performed by job holders within this job. However, this job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position. This job description is general and may evolve over time. The description is subject to periodic updating. At management’s discretion, the employee may be assigned different and/or additional duties or responsibilities.